Sunday 18 March 2012

Flying Dolphins

Its been a little busy this week, as last Wednesday we did a partial Crew Change, where approximately half the crew got off on our Crew Boat, while the remaining crew looked daggers at them as they headed for Shore and onward freedom.
So for me, there were a few new faces, and names for me to promptly forget 10 seconds after being told.....a growing sign of "old timers" disease inexorably advancing through what passes as grey matter between my ears these days.

Dolphins
What was unexpected though was the send off they had from a pack of Dolphins, who seemed to take the opportunity to play around us, as the two Boats were together doing the actual passenger transfer. Unfortunately I had only bought my 35mm lens with me for this brief trip out here, so the two Photos you see, have been zoomed up 50% or so from the Original.

Flying Dolphin
I say "unexpected" in the above sentence, as its pretty well known on the Vessels that I work on, that I am always the last Person on board to actually see anything swimming. Its a running joke on board, that whenever I am called to the Bridge to see something interesting, it's invariably disappeared by the time I arrive, breathless and red faced on the Bridge, having climbed about 5 flights of stairs. Only to be then faced with the Smiling (leering ?) face, and helpful comment from the Officer on Watch, that "I have just missed the Shark, Whale, Seal, Turtle, and they were really close to the Boat as well",
However, on Wednesday I beat the odds, and it turned out a lucky, and privileged day for me, and hopefully the luck will continue for the remainder of the trip.

Peruvian Sunrise
I thought I would add a quick Sunrise photograph to the post as well, as its not often out here, that I have the opportunity to have some sight of land as a back drop for my Maritime Sunrises and Sunsets. I hope Scott at  Just Used Pixels will approve, as he does take some absolute stonkers of these over on his Blog.

Just as a footnote, thank you to those of you that have visited the Triple P Imaging page and emailed me, and yes I know the most recent photos are not included for sale yet; but the bandwidth and various firewalls that are in place while I am Offshore, prevent me from downloading the images to the portfolio. They should all be there within the next 2 weeks, when I finally get off this Floating Palace.

14 comments:

  1. Love the photos and the sunset is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. How happy you must be to have seen those dolphins and captured them on film! And your sunrise photo is beautiful.
    May I just ask you, have you ever heard of Louis Zamperini? I did a post about him on my blog. He has written a book called "Devil At My Heels" which was his biography. He was in World War II and was shot down in the South Pacific and spent 46 days in a tiny life boat. One of the thing that occurred was a giant group of dolphins came towards the tiny boat and there was so many of them, he was very worried as to what would happen to his tiny little liferaft, they came closer and closer, churning up the water...they got to his boat and...
    YOU'LL HAVE TO READ THE BOOK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You big tease Kay !! I have amazoned him, so will now have to get his book on the kindle.

      Delete
  3. Oh, how beautiful. What an interesting life you are sharing here ~ and thank you for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting....not interesting, just a different type of life.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful photos! I've only seen dolphins once off the New Jersey shore and it was a site to behold. People came running off the boardwalk just to get a climpse. Actually, at first many thought they were sharks. And beautiful sunrise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helene, I had no idea you had Dolphins off the New jersey shoreline....you learn something every day. By the way, i am amazed at your mercury glass egg...fantastic photos.

      Delete
  5. Muito interessantes as fotos dos golfinhos.
    O findar do dia sobre as águas está muito belo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a treat seeing the dolphins, I am very jealous! Lovely pics, the sunrise is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracey, thank you. It was one of those moments I have to say.

      Delete
  7. That sunset is spectacular, as are the dolphins! We are leaving our desert and heading for the ocean...miss it so much! Hope life onboard is treating you well...Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Stillhowlyn crew, thanks for the comments, and safe journey to the Ocean.

    ReplyDelete